PartⅡVocabulary and Structure (40 scores)
Directions: There are forty items in this part. For each of the following items, there are four choices marked A. B. C and D. Choose the one answer that best completes the item.
21. The more compositions you write, __________ will be your writing skill.
A. the progress as great as B. the great progress
C. the greater D. the greatest
22. He _________ from his brother for a long time.
A. not has heard B. have not heard
C. has not heard D. does not heard
23. It ___________Mary and Dick who gave me these things the other day.
A. is B. was C. are D. were
24. I________ to go to the party, but I was busy.
A. have planned B. was planned C. had planned D. plan
25. Do more exercises______ you will improve our health.
A. if B. and C. then D. for
26. The hotel _________we stayed was very comfortable.
A. which B. that C. at that D. at which
27. Hardly_________ the door when the wind blew it open.
A. did I shut B. had I shut C. I had shut D. I shutted
28. The little girl had an apple in one hand and a pear in ___________.
A. the other B. another C. another hand D. other hand
29.The library was named ___________ John Smith, who had donated one millior pounds by then.
A. by B. after C. with D. for
30.They _______in spite of the bad weather.
A. carried out B. carried on C. insisted on D. carried forward
31. This book is well_________.
A. worthy reading B. worth reading C. worthy to read D. worth reading it
32. Everywhere you can see high building on ______side of the road.
A. every B. any C. either D. both
33. Finally they _________ all the difficulties.
A. got off B. got across C. got around D. got over
34. He climbed the tree and picked all the pears_________ reach.
A. near B. inside C. within D. beyond
35.Quite a few students have not finished their assignment __________ instructed.
A. like B. which C. so D. as
36. I prefer writing a term paper _________ taking an exam.
A. than B. to C. for D. by
37.Unfortunately, very few sheep _________ the severe winter last year.
A. survived B. endured C. spent D. remained alive
38. The teacher's _____ explanation of the homework confused me.
A. obscure B. reliable C. unknown D. expressive
39. After only two years in the American market, our US sales have now our sales in Europe.
A. caught B. overtaken C. overflowed D. averaged
40. Employees are ________ to join the company's pension plan after a year's service.
A. compelled B. responded C. regarded D. driven
41. Recently the newspapers have reported several __________ on the boundaries of Israel and Jordan.
A. accidents B. incidents C. events D. happening
42. The country made _________ attack on a neighboring land.
A. a striking B. a progressive C. an advancing D. an aggressive
43. Some people think that running away from a crime ____________ an admission of guilt.
A. provides for B. amounts to C. regards as D. adds to
44. The restaurant has a very _________ atmosphere and s the perfect setting for a romantic dinner.
A. intimate B. popular C. enormous D. welcome
45. I was _________ to find his articles on such an ___________ topic so_________.
A. surprised, exited, bored B. surprising, exiting, boring
C. surprised, exiting, boring D. surprising, exited, bored
46. You may borrow this book_______ you keep it clean.
A. as well as B. as fa as C. as good as D. as long as
47. The play has started I wonder how long ago___________.
A. did it begin B. it began C. it has began D. was it beginning
48. Consumers should do__________ than simply complain about the poor quality of goods.
A. much less B. some more C. far less D. far more
49. _________ that few people could tell them apart.
A. So alike the twins were B. So alike were the twins
C. So the twins were alike D. Were the twins so alike
50. I certainly tried to explain his ideas but I am still at a loss______ his points.
A. and see B. to see C. for seeing D. seeing
51. Susan and Bill will discuss their vacation plans ______ dinner.
A. while B. over C. for D. about
52. It will be some time ___________ we know the full result.
A. since B. till C. after D. before
53. ____________ I wanted to find out first was how long it would take to complete the bridge.
A. That B. Those C. What D. Which
54. I will come and see you in London, ____________ the chance.
A. given B. giving C. to give D. be given
55.As the new blue, green, and red flag of African smallest independent nation was _________high, the crowd gave mighty shouts.
A. raised B. risen C. arised D. aroused
56.Our interest __________ , we noted the address and wrote for further information.
A. worken B. awaked C. waken D. awakened
57.In summer, many North Americans go to Europe by boat because they expect to have a delightful__________.
A. voyage B. journey C. travel D. tour
58. Only in this way __________ the enemy troops.
A. we can wipe out B. we can wipe off
C. we can wipe away D. can we wipe out
59. You have nothing to ___________ by refusing to listen to our advice.
A. gain B. grasp C. seize D. earn
60. She was complaining that the doctor was __________ too much for the treatment he was giving her.
A. expending B. offering C. costing D. charging