1. Tom was disappointed that most of the guests ______ when he ______at the party.
A. had left, arrived
B. left, had arrived
C. had left, had arrived
D. left, arrived
2. Sir Denis, who is 78, has made it known that much of his collection ______ to the nation.
A. has left
B. is to leave
D. is to be left
3. The work ______ by the time you get here.
A. will have been done
B. is done
C. had been done
D. would have done
4. It ______ for a week and the streets were flooded.
A. has rained
B. was rained
C. had been raining
D. should have rained
5. Sorry, but we cannot go to San Diego. Our cousins ____ to see us next Sunday.
B. are coming
C. have come
6. The bus is late and Julie is cold. She ____ for the bus for 10 minutes.
C. has been waiting
D. has waited
7. All of us think it difficult to ______ the difference between the two things.
8. George is so ______ in debt that he is afraid to show up in the pub in case he meets his six creditors.
9. A new situation is likely to ______ when the school leaving age is raised to 16.
10. Be quiet! It's rude to ______ people when they are speaking.
11. The music adviser taught her how to ______ a song to find its mood and meaning.
12. Rapid reading means reading something fast just to ______ the general idea.
13. Finding it difficult to ______ to the climate in the city, he decided to move to the North.
14. They built strong walls round the town as a ______ against the enemy.
15. The students were not____to leave the classroom without an adequate reason.
16. I don’t think it is easy to ______ your weight if keep on eating that way.
17. The guide is ____ a line of tourists through the narrow passage with the help of his torch.
18. It _______ the village where we spent our holidays last summer.
A. reminds me of
B. reminds me to
C. remembers me of
D. remembers me to
19. It’s too expensive for me. I can’t _______it.
20. I didn’t know what to do but then an idea suddenly______ to me.