Test of Integrated Skill of English
Part I Grammar & Vocabulary (0.5×40=20 )
Directions: There are thirty sentences in this section. Beneath each sentence there are four words or phrases marked A, B, C and D. Choose one word or phrase that best completes the sentence.
1. Hill slopes were cleared of trees to make way for crops, but this only the crisis.
A. preceded B. prevailed C. ascended D. accelerated
2. Bill Gates, the billionaire Microsoft chairman without a single earned university degree, is by his success raising new doubts about the of the business world favorite academic title: the MBA (Master of Business Administration).
A. worth B. price C. prize D. advantage
3. The second authority was at least as eager to make a political statement as the school open.
A. keeping B. to keep C. kept D. have kept
4. In some oriental cultures, students are expected to be quiet, disciplined and in class.
A. faithful B. secondary C. obedient D. respectable
5. Many children are becoming computer game addicts and their lessons are neglected. Researchers are trying to find out the reasons why the computer themselves.
A. dominates B. prevails C. promotes D. features
6. Having finished the whole day’s work, the clerk stood up behind their desks,
A. expanding B. prolonging C. spreading D. stretching
7. He to escape but his conscience prevented him from doing that.
A. had intended B. has intended
C. had been intending D. has been intending
8. All things , the Chinese football team played quite well although they failed in entering the semifinal.
A. considered B. considering C. being considered D. are considered
9. The breakdowns of the computer have caused serious delays on the work.
A. continuous B. continued C. continual D. continuing
10. I’m sorry I’m not in the position to answer your questions. Ask the man sitting by the window. He is here.
A. in charge B. in place C. in power D. in responsible
11. Jack from home for two days now, and I am beginning to worry about his safety.
A. has been missing B. has been missed
C. had been missing D. was missed
12. ---- Does Alan like hamburgers?
----- Yes. So much that he eats them almost every day.
A. for B. as C. to D. so
13. Time , the celebration will be held as scheduled.
A. permit B. permitting C. permitted D. permits
14. It is futile to discuss the matter further, because going to agree upon anything today.
A. Neither you nor I are B. neither you nor me is
C. Neither you nor I am D. neither me or you are
15. She would have been more agreeable if she had changed a little bit, ?
A. hadn’t she B. hasn’t she C. wouldn’t she D. didn’t she
16. It will take us twenty minutes to get to the railway station, traffic delays.
A. acknowledging B. affording C. allowing for D. accounting for
17. With exceptions, the former president does not appear in public now.
A. Rare B. unusual C. extraordinary D. unique
18. During the summer holiday season there are no rooms in this seaside hotel.
A. empty B. blank C. deserted D. vacant
19. Drive straight ahead, and then you will see a to the shanghai-Nanjing Expressway.
A. sign B. mark C. signal D. board
20. I think you can take a(n) language course to improve your English.
A. intermediate B. middle C. medium D. mid
21. , I’ll marry him all the same.
A. Was he rich or poor B. Whether rich or poor
C. Were he rich or poor D. Be he rich or poor
22. The government has promised to do lies in its power to ease the hardships of the victims in the flood- stricken area.
A. however B. whichever C. whatever D. wherever
23. if I had arrived yesterday without letting you know beforehand?
A. Would you be surprised B. Were you surprised
C. Had you been surprised D. Would you have been surprised
24. It is imperative that students their term papers on time.
A. hand in B. would hand in
C. have to hand in D. handed in
25. The less the surface of the ground yields to the weight of a fully-loaded truck, to the truck.
A. the greater stress is B. greater is the stress
C. the stress is greater D. the greater the stress
26. both sides accept the agreement a lasting peace be establishment in this region.
A. Only if, will B. If only, would
C. Should, will D. Unless, would
27. Mary hopes to be from hospital next week.
A. dismissed B. discharged C. expelled D. resigned
28. Once a picture is proved to be a forgery, it becomes quite .
A. invaluable B. priceless C. unworthy D. worthless
29. She answered with an “No” to the request that she attend the public hearing.
A. eloquent B. effective C. emotional D. emphatic
30. We met Mary and her husband at a party two months ago. We’ve had no further communication.
A. Thereof B. Thereby C. Thereafter D. Thereabouts
31. The police finally arrested the criminal after more than five months’ hard work
A. famous B. notorious C. renowned D. respectable
32. Students from this teacher’s college often visit the local schools for the of lessons.
A. observation B. investigation C. inspection D. observance
33. a city paved with gold, New York City teeming with overcrowded, unhealthy and unsafe ghettos at that time.