Time is the biggest problem of most students. It becomes particularly difficult when you have to do library research for a term paper or report. Finding information in the library can take so much time that many students avoid it until the last possible minute.
Library research does not have to be time consuming. If you learn to use a library efficiently, you can save yourself a great deal of time. The exercises in this section are designed to familiarize you with the library so that you can find the information you need quickly.
The first and the most important thing to know about a library is that when you cannot find something, ask a librarian for help. The librarians are paid not just to shelve books, but to provide information and assistance. The most helpful librarians are usually those who work in the reference room. They will help you get started on a term paper and even help you find material. There are two basic places to begin looking for information, the card catalog and the various periodical indexes. The card catalog is a list of all the books in the library. A periodical index is a list of all the magazine and journal articles written on any subject.
1. According to the author, finding information in the library needs a lot of time, so students should ______.
A. avoid it until the last possible minute
B. do library research
C. learn how to use it efficiently
D. save a great deal of time
2. It is the librarians’ duty to do all the following things except______.
A. arranging and lending books
B. helping students locate the needed books
C. helping students find needed materials
D. helping students write their term paper
3. In what way could a student get familiarized with the library while reading this section?
A. By doing the exercises provided.
B. By asking the librarians.
C. By looking into the catalog part.
D. By reading in the reference room.
4. If you need to find a magazine article in the library, the best way for you to do is to ______.
A. look in the card catalog
B. look in the periodical indexes
C. search through the bookshelves
D. go to the reference room
5. The passage is taken from an introduction of a chapter, and the title of the chapter is probably ______.
A. Save Your Study Time
B. Using the Library for Your Term Paper
C. Using the Library Efficiently
D. Library--- An Information Source